Many people grind their teeth when they are sleeping. This is called bruxism. Often this occurs just for a short period, during times of stress. However, some people brux over long periods of time, and this can lead to damage to the jaw joints and teeth. It can also cause headaches and neck tension.
Signs and Symptoms of problem bruxism are
- jaw joint pain and stiffness
- difficulty in opening fully
- clicks, cracks and pops when opening
- neck and shoulder tension and discomfort
- recurring headaches
- teeth breaking and wearing
These problems can oftwen be effectively treated with splint therapy. Patients often get rapid relief from symptoms once an effective splint is supplied.